Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

Music for Yoga II

Happy New Year! If by any chance one of your New Year's resolutions is to start doing yoga, great! There are so many benefits of doing yoga (which I'm sure you already know) and besides, you can listen to great music while doing it!

In the first Music for Yoga post I shared some favourite piano pieces, and this time I'd like to add a couple early orchestral works to the mix.

First up is a popular work by W.A. Mozart called Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, or A Little Night Music. This serenade was written in 1787 for chamber ensemble and has four movements, the first of which features the famous "rocket" theme.  Even though this is such a widely played work I never seem to tire of listening to it. It's also a great length for incorporating into a yoga routine (~15 min.) and I find it to be quite inspiring.

Rocket Theme from Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

The next piece comes from another composition almost everyone is familiar with: The Four Seasons by Antonio Vivaldi. This set of four violin concertos was written in 1723, and I chose to feature La primavera, or Spring for my yoga playlist. On a day such as today-- when the windchill is equal to minus 23 degrees Celsius-- I am happy to listen to this and dream about the arrival of spring! If you like this concerto try listening to the other seasons; you won't be disappointed. Enjoy and namaste.
~ Jennifer


1. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by W.A. Mozart
2. La primavera from The Four Seasons by A. Vivaldi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!